Maldon: Calder House restored to celebrate 160 years of history


44 High St, Maldon, dates back 160 years.


A history-drenched Maldon home with ties to royals has been listed following an impeccable restoration.

Stepping inside Calder House – which dates back 160 years – is like stepping back to a more refined time.

A wide, arched hallway leads to elegant living and dining spaces, adorned by elaborate chandeliers hanging from high, decorative ceilings, plus classic wallpaper and bay windows.

RELATED: Victoria’s most difficult markets to find a home all regional

Artist lists rare Werribee home where she painted former PM

Melbourne’s oldest home for sale for first time in more than 100 years


The formal living room is equally impressive.


Historical documents state the original owners, Thomas and Anna Calder, added these rooms before the Governor-General visited in 1884.

Open fireplaces, stained glass and timber floors carry the period charm throughout the five-bedroom house at 44 High St – dubbed “one of the grander homes” in the intact gold rush-era township by Circa heritage property expert Dominic Romeo.

It’s on the market with a $1.495m-$1.595m price guide.

For Herald Sun Coast and Country mock

A wide hallway offers a striking entrance to the home.


The house has been restored sympathetically to its origins.


Mr Romeo noted the Calder family built the home in 1860 and extended it in the 1880s, with the owners of the past seven-odd years masterfully returning it to its former glory. This involved “restoring the kitchen, the grand rooms, the hallways, the bathrooms and right through the house”.

“They’re quite passionate about the heritage components of the house,” he said.

“It’s in a commercial zone, so the opportunities for it now are endless – it could be a private residence, accommodation, a cafe, restaurant or gallery. It’s also the perfect Covid escape.”

The house could be snapped up as a “Covid escape”.


The house is on a 882sq m block.


Mr Calder built the house – originally named Roseneath – on land adjoining his timber and iron business, which documents state was “involved with the construction of many buildings in the thriving township of Maldon”.

He did so after marrying Anna, the daughter of an artist who painted the likes of King George IV and Robert Bruce, and was a “court painter” to Queen Victoria at Windsor Castle.

The couple raised nine children at the house and hosted notable visitors such as author Henry Handel Richardson, politician and businessman Sir John McIntyre, and the Earl and Countess of Meath.

The property remained in the Calder family until the 1940s.

Mr Romeo said Maldon itself also had appeal for history buffs, having been first settled in the 1840s, and classified as Australia’s first “notable town” by the National Trust in 1966. He anticipated buyer interest from the local region, Melbourne and even interstate.

Sign up to the Herald Sun Weekly Real Estate Update. Click here to get the latest Victorian property market news delivered direct to your inbox.

MORE: Snowboarding champ Scotty James selling slick South Melbourne pad

Former Lang Lang Holden test track makes $36.3m in massive deal

Bombers legend Tim Watson lists Albert Park pad

samantha.landy@news.com.au

 



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *